The term “Premature greying of hair or Premature canities”, is used when hair starts turning grey before the age of 25 in Asians.Hair turns white when melanin, the pigment that imparts color to hair diminishes, and the admixture of pigmented and white hair gives grey color.
Multiple factors are involved, mainly premature greying occurs due to:-
- The autoimmune disorder like pernicious anaemia, hyper- or hypothyroidism.
- Premature aging syndromes like progeria and pangeria
- Atopic diathesis like asthma, allergic conjunctivitis, allergic rhinitis, etc
- Nutritional deficiency
- Certain medication may lead to premature greying.
- Medical disorder like HIV, cystic fibrosis
- Smoking and substance abuse
Treatments options at Claro–
Treatment at Claro Clinic includes various medical and topical treatments to slow down premature greying.