The treatments involve exposing the skin to ultraviolet light. The exposures can be to small area (hand held device)of the skin or over the whole body surface(full body panel).At Claro we use narrowband UVB (NB-UVB) with a wavelength of 311-313nm as this is the safest treatment.
The most common indications for this treatment are:
- Atopic dermatitis-Light therapy is considered one of the best monotherapy treatments for atopic dermatitis (AD), when applied to patients who have not responded to traditional topical treatments.
- Psoriasis-Forpsoriasis, UVB phototherapy has been shown to be effective and reduces inflammatory responses.Specially in cases of resistant plaques helps in faster resolution.
- Vitiligo-narrowband UVB phototherapy is an effective treatment in cases of stable vitiligo.NB-UVB phototherapy results in satisfactory repigmentation in our vitiligo patients and should be offered as a treatment option.
- Eczema-NB UVB helps in faster relief of symptoms in severe cases of eczema.
- Lichen planus-for extensive lichen planus NB UVB is one of the treatment option.