Also known as dermatitis. Its an itchy skin condition characterised by rashes.The initial stages appear with red patches while in long-term cases the skin may become thickened. The area of skin involved can vary from small to the entire body. The exact cause of dermatitis is often unclear but dry skin is more prone to develop eczema even genetic and environmental factors play an important role.
Common types of eczema are-
- Atopic dermatitisis – an allergic disease having a hereditary component and often associated with asthma. Itchy rash is particularly noticeable on all folds viz neck, inside of elbows, behind knees, and buttocks
- Contact dermatitisis – of two types: allergic and irritant contact dermatitis.This appears at the site of contact with the allergen/irritant.Patch testing helps in the confirmation of the diagnosis.
- Xerotic eczema(winter itch) – is dry skin that becomes so serious it turns into eczema. It worsens in dry winter weather, and limbs and trunk are most often affected.
- Seborrhoeic dermatitis – It causes dry or greasy peeling of the scalp(dandruff), eyebrows, and face, and sometimes trunk.
- Venous eczema(stasis dermatitis) – occurs in people with impaired circulation, varicose veins and is particularly common in the ankle area.There is redness, scaling, darkening of the skin, and itching. The disorder predisposes to leg ulcers.
Treatment offered at Claro clinic:
- Medical line of management-consisting of long term oral and topical medication.
- Photo therapy-NB UVB therapy for a faster recovery and for long standing and stubborn cases.